Monday

Picture Book Cover Letter Contest

So, I read all of the entries, and I have picked the two I would be most likely to request if I was a general editor/agent.  I had a hard time narrowing it down to just two.  There were a couple that appealed to me more as the kind of book I actually publish, and there were two that had great summaries in their letters, but the rest of the letter fell just a tad bit short. These two, in my opinion, had the best overall letters.




Now, it's time for you to vote.  Here are the two entries:
Number 1:
Dear Ms. Editor,

In response to your recent request for fantasy picture book manuscripts, I'm submitting my 312 word story Oliver Colossal for your consideration. This is a multiple submission.

Oliver is a just a regular boy, except for one thing. He’s a giant among averaged-sized people. When his mother decides that giants shouldn’t need a special blanket, she takes his favorite comfort away. Before long, Oliver’s extra large case of insomnia causes big trouble in Tiny Town. In the end, only Oliver knows what he really needs to fix the problem.

I'm an active member of SCBWI and I meet regularly with a critique group.

Thank you for your consideration of my manuscript. I look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,
Number 2:
Dear Ms Editor,

Please find enclosed a disposable manuscript of JEREMY STRICKER AND THE HAPPY BOTTOM (483 words) for consideration with [Publisher].

This is the tale of the happiest fanny in the world -- and the unhappy boy attached to it. Having a dancing and singing (make that tooting!) bottom isn’t easy. But things only get worse after Jeremy Stricker confronts his derriere. Will Jeremy and his tush ever make peace?

I have enjoyed reading such [Publisher] titles as [ABC] and [XYZ], about stand-out protagonists and their offbeat paths towards acceptance. I hope you will find this story to be a worthy addition to your book list. In a planned sequel, Jeremy and his booty team up to foil a couple of dirty, rotten (but sensitive-nosed) thieves.

A writer, student, and mother, I have published over 20 articles in trade journals and magazines including, most recently, in Girl’s Life. I am a member of SCBWI.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,


2 comments:

The Storylady said...

I hope you do this again soon! I have another I'd like to submit that would probably be more up your alley.

Estela said...

So, who won? :)