Wednesday

My Baby Has Croup

Now normally croup involves an annoying cough and is easily treatable. Sometimes, however, it involves vomiting, coughing, paleness, and an asthma-like wheeze (that's what I though it was) that does not stop for anything, and at 2:30 in the morning requires a trip to the ER. My child, of course, had the second one.

He is now absolutely fine thanks to the wonders of modern medicine and modern steroids. In fact, contrary to the doctor's predictions, he slept all of last night without a single wheeze or cough, and the croupy cough has in fact entirely disappeared.

I, on the other hand, did not sleep much at all choosing instead to sit in his room waiting for the moment when his breathing would become bad enough that I would have to stick his head in the freezer. (An actual remedy for croup. I am not making this up.) Fortunately that moment never came.

The result of all this is that I have (to all appearances) a healthy, rested toddler, and a zoned out Mama who not only can't remember what I planned on talking about today, but also can't think of something in it's place. I will resume discussing whatever it was I was discussing when I can once again remember what that was.

Ah, first time parenthood.

1 comment:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Glad he's doing better. Taking a kid to ER can be scary. I had to take my daughter there 2 months after we adopted her for a febile seizure. Luckily it was just caused by a high temperature.

Hope you get a break at work today. I woke up way too early for my busy day at work. I'll be drinking lots of coffee.