Wednesday

Books I Should Read (V)

For reasons beyond my control, the BookKids blog is not letting me type in new posts. And since I could not possibly let a week go by without meeting my reading challenge (especially on a week where I actually met it), I decided to post my review here. As soon as we get the kink worked out back at Bookpeople, I'll retroactively post this there.

The London Eye Mystery

Originally I wanted to read this book because it was a mystery. (Did you catch on my Monday post that I like mysteries?) I'm not sure what I expected, but I think I was assuming that this was going to be your typical kid mystery book. This wasn't one at all.

For starters, the narrator Ted has a never revealed disorder that is obviously some form of high functioning autism. Now before you start thinking this is another Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, it's not. But Ted does have a different way of looking at the world -- one that ends up allowing him to solve the mystery when no one else can.

The mystery itself is intriguing and well done with a trail of clues that can be followed. Basically Ted and his sister's cousin disappears from a sealed pod of the London Eye which is the huge wheel (not a ferris wheel) that gives panoramic views of London. Since it seems unlikely that their cousin combusted or entered a time slip stream, Ted and Kat decide to try to determine what happened to him. The solid mystery that follows should appeal to any mystery fans.

The autism element adds a new dimension to what would otherwise be a typical midgrade mystery. However, it neither distracts from the overall plot or intrude into the story. It just is another point that opens possibilities for discussion.

Overall, I would recommend this for kids 10 & up. Younger kids might find the book a little too tense.

Next week: I Put a Spell on You

4 comments:

susiej said...

Thanks for this post! I'm going to have to look this book up.

My family went on the London Eye last March. That was big for me since I'm terrified of heights. I was sure our pod was going to fall off and plunge into the Thames. It even made this ghastly lurge as we came round from the peak, but the view was amazing.

I'm very curious to know where the kid in the story went because slip stream actually sounds feasible to me. (smile)

Yat-Yee said...

I thought it was interesting for the author to include Ted and all his qualities without explaining his disorder and I also enjoy how the relationship between the siblings are depicted. I did get a little..something..with how Ted's disorder is shown to the reader, which is usually by how he responds to the literal meanings of speech. The problem I have with that is parents of a child like this would have stopped talking the way they did around him a long time ago for those misunderstandings and misinterpretations to take place so often.

But small bone, really.

The Buried Editor said...

I agree that it was weird that the parents still used colloquialisms when Ted so obviously took everything literally. There were a couple of times when I wondered why they kept doing it since it just made things harder for everyone. That did bother me.

esar said...

Nice post...thanks for share!
stock photos | stock images | royalty-free images