Friday

Weekend Discussion 10/9/09

The discussion on the comment section of Tuesday's post about authorial intrusion got me thinking about writing trends that have gone out of style but that might deserve a resurgence.

For instance, I would love to see the return of the frame story. You know, books like the Cantebury Tales or Arabian Nights. I belive the recent adult book Hakawati does this, but I can't think of any recent children's books that do the same. I love short story collections, but stories woven together in a frame story are even better.

What bygone fictional trope would you like to see make a comeback?

Join the discussion at Get Me Out of the Slush Pile!.

1 comment:

beth said...

I do like snappy chapter headings (such as in Patricia Wrede's Enchanted Forest books), but they seem to be a bit out of fashion these days.

Personally, I also like 2-parter stories, such as The Hero and the Crown, or Till We Have Faces--where the main character goes through a significant change part-way through the book, then solves a more complex, though linked, problem in the last half. This, sadly, also seems to be out of fashion...