Friday

Getting by With a Little Help from Your Friends

One of the many things I love about Austin is our strong, active children's writing community.

I'm very lucky to live in a city where we have a concentration of social children's authors. Whether it's panels or meetings hosted by our local SCBWI or the Texas Writer's League, we have many opportunities to get together and share writing war stories.

Just last night I attended a panel on first drafts -- I wasn't on it, I just went to listen to other people discuss the craft. After the panel, the Leitich Smiths (one of the most social writing couples I think I've ever met) rounded up all the children's writers and herded us out for drinks.

(And before I'm bombarded with emails on the evils of drinking and pregnancy, rest assured, I had three glasses of water and chicken nachos. I have witnesses.)

While out, I had the chance to catch up on industry and local gossip, and I was able to meet some newer (to me) members of the writing community. I had a wonderful time just sitting and talking books with all of these people. I'm greatful for the adult, non-baby related conversations I was able to participate in. It was nice to get out of the house and away from the computer, even for a few moments.

I would like to encourage everyone to get out and mingle with your fellow authors. Writing can be a very solitary pursuit -- just you and your keyboard or pad of paper. Interactions like these help you maintain perspective. Having trouble with a first draft? Get Cynthia to tell you all about how she deletes every first draft she ever writes. And I don't mean throws away the hardcopy. No, no. She makes every copy, paper or electronic, disappear. Forever. When your hear the tale, it's both liberating and heartbreaking at the same time.

And best of all, hanging out with your fellow authors is the best networking you can do. You'll find out who's agent is looking at work, what school has the most lucrative school visits, etc. So, get out there and start talking. Break that stereotype of the wan author locked in a dark windowless room working feverishly on a manuscript. You can do that when you get back.

And, if you do happen to be lucky enough to live in Austin, the SCBWI has a meeting tomorrow at BookPeople. See you all there.

10 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Glad you had fun! Yes, Austin is a great place!

beth said...

The more I talk to Tricia, the more I realize I should be a Texan!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed getting to hang out the other night. Glad you had a good time. :)

I love the Austin kid lit scene. It's incredible with the number one reason being the folks in it.

~Lindsey

thespectacleblog said...

I can't believe she destroys her first drafts. Gutsy.

Parker P

cool said...

租辦公室租店面買辦公室店面租賃店面出租店面出售花茶花草茶養生茶招牌led招牌招牌製作美國月子中心保養美國月子中心OBU投審會會計師事務所會計師工商登記公司登記包子肉粽宅配美食四神湯搬家公司訂房訂房網花東旅遊桃園土地桃園房屋仲介桃園房屋桃園房屋網桃園房屋買賣漆彈搬家公司會場設計展場設計會場設計展場設計展覽設計消防設備消防設備機電崴立機電消防公司地板施工超耐磨地板店面出租乳癌全身健康檢查肝癌健康檢查身體檢查飛梭雷射雷射溶脂直航機票自由行三久太陽能三久太陽能太陽能熱水器別墅外觀設計環保袋別墅外觀設計室內裝修電波拉皮hand dryer電波拉皮雷射溶脂肉毒桿菌系統家具台中漆彈場漆彈團體服美國月子中心團體服

cool said...

團體服團體服T恤圍裙POLO衫班服團體服創意熱轉印團體服訂做宜蘭民宿關鍵字廣告seo網路廣告網路行銷seo網站設計seo線上客服seo網頁設計seo網頁設計公司網路行銷網路行銷桃園室內設計室內設計作品室內裝潢裝潢室內設計室內設計公司裝潢設計豪宅空間設計店面設計豪宅設計桃園室內設計公司別墅外觀設計室內裝潢設計台北室內設計新竹室內設計法拍屋中古車二手車環保袋環保袋肉毒桿菌健檢醫學美容淨膚雷射汽車美容法拍屋水餃清潔公司實驗動物到府坐月子坐月子坐月子中心坐月子餐孕婦月子餐到府坐月子坐月子坐月子中心坐月子中心台中坐月子中心台北月子餐月子中心坐月子餐月子餐外送

cool said...

團體服團體服T恤圍裙POLO衫班服團體服創意熱轉印團體服訂做宜蘭民宿關鍵字廣告seo網路廣告網路行銷seo網站設計seo線上客服seo網頁設計seo網頁設計公司網路行銷網路行銷桃園室內設計室內設計作品室內裝潢裝潢室內設計室內設計公司裝潢設計豪宅空間設計店面設計豪宅設計桃園室內設計公司別墅外觀設計室內裝潢設計台北室內設計新竹室內設計法拍屋中古車二手車環保袋環保袋肉毒桿菌健檢醫學美容淨膚雷射汽車美容法拍屋水餃清潔公司實驗動物到府坐月子坐月子坐月子中心坐月子餐孕婦月子餐到府坐月子坐月子坐月子中心坐月子中心台中坐月子中心台北月子餐月子中心坐月子餐月子餐外送

Eason said...

牙醫,植牙,矯正,矯正牙齒,紋身,刺青,創業,批發,皮膚科,痘痘,中醫,飛梭雷射,毛孔粗大,醫學美容,痘痘,肉毒桿菌,seo,關鍵字行銷,自然排序,網路行銷,自然排序,關鍵字行銷seo,部落格行銷,網路行銷,seo,關鍵字行銷,自然排序,部落格行銷,網路行銷,牛舌餅婚紗台中婚紗,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,高雄婚紗,街舞,小產,雞精,紋身,刺青,性感,辣妹,雷射溶脂,雙下巴,抽脂,瘦小腹,微晶瓷,電波拉皮,淨膚雷射,清潔公司,居家清潔

dreaz said...

araç sorgulama
sorgulama
ehliyet
açıköğretim
bağkur sorgulama
ssk sorgulama
emekli sandığı
cinsel bilgiler
radyo dinle
korku
evlilik
ssk hizmet dökümü
ssk emeklilik sorgulama
hikaye
bağkur hizmet dökümü
gazeteler
ilan
ssk
evlilik sitesi
ehliyet sınav sonuçları
iş ilanları
bağkur
gazete oku

feiyang said...

Thank you so much, I haven't ever read so wonderfull blog, your bolg is so good, I like it very much. I also want you to go to my web, and so that we can discuss something.
By the way, do you like polo shirts, which are very chic, especially the polo t shirts, I love them very much. I also like playing tennis rackets, it can keep healthy, what do you like to do?
cheap tennis racket
discount tennis racket
prince tennis racquet
head tennis rackets
wilson tennis racket
babolat tennis racquet
polo t shirts women
polo t shirts on sale
polo t shirts for women
polo shirts on sale
polo shirts men
men's polo shirt
men polo shirt
mens polo shirts
mens polo shirt
cheap polo shirts
discount polo shirts
men's polo shirts
women's polo shirts