Friday

Banned Book Debate Hits Home

I love it when the universe organizes things for my own personal satisfaction. We're about to enter banned book week, and books are now being challenged right here in the Austin metropolitan area.

I know. Who'd a thunk?

Then I had the dilemna of where to write about it. After all, I've been running all that Banned Book stuff over at Bookpeople's kids blog, but this is a local issue, and if Bookpeople is viewed as taking a side, there could be all sorts of financial ramifications. And at the beginning of a recession, the last thing the store needs is boycott during the holiday season.

Finally, I decided to go ahead and post over there, but I added not one, but two disclaimers to stave off people verbally firebombing the store. The post and my views on the local challenged book controversy can be found here.

I'm hoping this turns into a well-reasoned debate and not people name calling. We shall see. And I shall edit those I find inappropriate.

And Austin authors: what do you think about this happening in our own backyard? I have to admit I was surprised.

2 comments:

Rolli said...

I remember the stink when Dahl's "The Witches" first came out, how it was savaged by women's groups ("Why are witches always female?" they cried. "Because a male witch is a wizard," Dahl retorted, to little avail). It's still one of the most banned children's books in North America, and such a harmless, wholesome piece of whimsy. Literature is being pried from children's hands by savage fanaticals, with the assistance - or at least complacency - of school administrators, who stand about, ho-humming, hands in pockets, not wanting to make a fuss. Ug!

2012天氣晴朗 said...

牙醫,植牙,矯正,矯正牙齒,皮膚科,痘痘,中醫,飛梭雷射,毛孔粗大,醫學美容,痘痘,seo,關鍵字行銷,自然排序,網路行銷,自然排序,關鍵字行銷seo,部落格行銷,網路行銷,seo,關鍵字行銷,自然排序,部落格行銷,網路行銷,牛舌餅婚紗台中婚紗,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,街舞,小產,雞精,性感,辣妹,雷射溶脂,雙下巴,抽脂,瘦小腹,微晶瓷,電波拉皮,淨膚雷射,清潔公司,居家清潔,牙周病,牙齒矯正,植牙,牙周病,矯正,植牙