Thursday

Tip of the Week 8/7/08

Tip of the Week: Immerse yourself in your subject.

Now when you are writing a book that requires lots of research like nonfiction or a historical novel, you obviously have to learn all about your topic. If you don't, you will have a hard time writing a convincing book.

But even if you have written a contemporary teen mystery, you should be well versed in other books in that genre. Not only do you need to know the competition, you also need to know what others have written so that you can modify your story to keep it from being too similar.

However, you do have to be careful that you aren't overly influenced by the books you read. You don't want to subconsciously be plagiarising someone else's work. So, I recommend reading similar types of books before and after you write your work, but saving comparable works in your genre for the editing phase.

For example, if you are writing a midgrade mystery, read some adult mysteries while you are planning and writing your book. This will acquaint you with mystery conventions without directly influencing your work. Then, while you are editing, read a few midgrade mysteries to see how other authors handle issues that are unique to children mysteries as opposed to general mysteries.

4 comments:

Dharma Kelleher said...

For my novel about a lesbian in recovery from alcoholism, I tried to immerse myself with hordes of drunken lesbians but my girlfriend complained so I had to send them home. My sponsor wasn't thrilled with my research methods either.

Oh well, I tried. ::grin::

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to finagle my way into doing a ride-along with someone on the local police force. I want to observe and ask millions of questions for a mystery I'm planning.

WandaV

Violet said...

高雄婚紗,街舞,小產,雞精,性感,辣妹,雷射溶脂,雙下巴,抽脂,瘦小腹,微晶瓷,電波拉皮,淨膚雷射,清潔公司,居家清潔,牙周病,牙齒矯正,植牙,牙周病,矯正,植牙

Violet said...

牙醫,植牙,矯正,矯正牙齒,皮膚科,痘痘,中醫,飛梭雷射,毛孔粗大,醫學美容,痘痘,seo,關鍵字行銷,自然排序,網路行銷,自然排序,關鍵字行銷seo,部落格行銷,網路行銷,seo,關鍵字行銷,自然排序,部落格行銷,網路行銷,牛舌餅婚紗台中婚紗,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭