Sunday

Post #301

This post here marks the the 301st post on this here blog, at least according to Blogger. I haven't actually counted the posts myself (I have a bit of a life) so I'm taking the machine's word for it.

Now, 300 successful prior postings seems like a lot to me. I feel I should get some kind of award for having come so far -- or something like that. But, when I sat back and thought about it, I realized that 300 posts actually puts me kind of far behind. When I started this, I originally had planned to try to post at least once a day. Since I've had this little creative outlet for around 2 years, 3 months, I should actually be bragging about the 800th post. Hmmm. I seem to be slacking.

But regardless, the magic number 300 has made me reflective about this blog. I've been evaluating the stuff I've been doing and the responses so that I can figure out how to make things better. I really liked how the pitch series went. I'm considering doing a similar style series/contest on queries in the fall. I hope to have all the pitch contest winners read by then. (I'm over 3/4 through, but I'll be contacting everyone at once.) Other series I have considered are:
  • First pages
  • Marketing plans
  • Series proposals


But now comes the feedback part of the evaluation. What do you all think? Is there some topic you're dying for me to cover that I haven't even thought of? Do you prefer that I start interviewing folk every now and then? Or should I start talking about books again on this blog and not just do all my book review talking over on the BookKids blog? Let me know what you think in the comments. I am definitely open to suggestions.

5 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

I'm thinking your 300th post is deserving of a contest. You know, maybe a copy of The Emerald Tablet when it comes hot off the press?

beth said...

*waggles eyebrows* I like that as a prize!! :)

I love book/publishing posts. One topic I'd like to see covered, because it something that I've been working on myself, is the differences between MG and YA and some of the trends you see in each.

Wakai Writer said...

I think the ideas you posted are great and would be really helpful. I haven't seen any information at all on either marketing plans or series proposals, so it would be great to know what those are for, look like, etc. etc.

maureen said...

I like your list and would like to add synopsis to it.
I learned so much from the pitch series of posts that when I had to write a syopsis I wished you had covered that too.
Also I am interested in revision tips- I read a good one today...on the cwim blog. Change the font and size of your ms and it will look like someone else wrote it so revising looks easier....
I said looks...hehhehheh
maureen..nz

Authoress said...

Thanks for your kind comment on my blog.

I'd love to hear you talk (see you type?) about marketing plans. I think a lot of authors fall short on what they need to know in this area.