Friday

Wind and Hail and Rain, Oh My!

I had truly planned on getting the rest of the pitch stuff up yesterday, but a tree fell on my house the night before last, and well, this became less of a priority. We do finally have electricity, but as far as I know, the cable and internet have not yet come back. Thank goodness for work place internet. I would hate to be completely cut off from the rest of the world.

However, here is where you should pitch people. This is not going to be as comprehensive as where you shouldn't pitch. If you are pitching at the wrong time or place you'll instantly know and should stop. Even if you are in a situation that I describe below there can always be outstanding factors you can't anticipate. Remember, that like the pitch itself, the timing of your pitch needs to be flexible.

    Feel free to pitch me (and other editors and agents):
  • At conferences -- One of the main reason we go to conferences is to meet new authors and be pitched new and exciting projects. After our sessions and during pre-arranged pitch sessions, we expect and anticipate being pitched. Don't disappoint us or miss your chance.
  • During a meeting you've set up with us. If you've gone to the trouble to arrange the meeting, and we've agreed to meet with you, don't chicken out. Come prepared to pitch. The exception would be if we've arranged to meet over something else like a newspaper article on an upcoming book or for some charity. Then, it could be inappropriate and awkward for you to throw in your pitch.

Actually, now that I think about it, that's pretty much it. You're limited to conferences and workplace meetings, should you be able to make one. This is why your pitch needs to be so dynamic and well-rehearsed. You don't get many in person chances to lob your book at an editor or agent. You have to make the most of it.

2 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Hope all works out well with the house!

Kel-Bell said...

Let me make sure I understand the etiquette:

You're saying even if a tree falls on an agent’s house, I'm not supposed to stand there and pitch my book while trying to steal those Ruby Slippers?

Or is there some wiggle room here when I have an agent in a tight spot?