Friday

Superstitions

Today, for those of you who haven't noticed, is Friday, the thirteenth of July. For the superstitious, this is a day of ill omen and bad luck. Those of us with black cats should scrupulously avoid them, and ladders are a no-no. I can't think of any movies opening today, and I bet it's not coincidence that Harry Potter doesn't release this week.

I think that we should take back the thirteenth. For a writing prompt this weekend, think of the luckiest thing that could happen to a kid, and then write a 500 word story. And I mean a complete story with beginning, middle, and end, plot and a little character development. It's hard to write a story this short, but it's fun in that "It's a Challenge!" kind of way. Email your stories to me by the end of Sunday, and I'll pick my favorite and post it sometime Monday and send that person a free copy of Summer Shorts.

Write on, man. Write on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In my family, 13 is a lucky number. It comes up a lot for us, and not just because my wife was born on the 13th.
We went to an event on Friday with tribute bands doing Neil Diamond, the Bee Gees and Abba.
We had a great Friday the 13th.