Wednesday

Tip of the Week March 28

It's been a while since I've had some slush that merited mention. In fact, this one we just listened to (yes listened to) inspired my tip of the week.

Tip of the Week: When you submit to a press that publishes books, submit a written manuscript.

Now, before today, I thought this went without saying. I sort of assumed everyone sent a written version of their submission. They might send illustrations or dummy books or some strange printed out thing, but somewhere, the words are written down. Today we got a picture book read on an audio CD. It didn't have a single manuscript with this. Not only does it make it hard to evaluate this submission, but the reading of the manuscript itself was hard to listen to. This wasn't a professional recording, but a homemade, occassionally strangely paused rendition. It was distracting. It was unusual. It's now officially the oddest submission I've recieved yet.

4 comments:

judy said...

Maybe the sender can't type?

PJ Hoover said...

Wow. Good suggestion!
Maybe the sender thought this would be a catchy, little gimmick and that you could listen over and over in your car on the way to work.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the sender didn't read the rule book.

PJ Hoover said...

Would it lull my kids to sleep if I played it for them?