Thursday

Rewards for Reading Programs

Jen Robinson clued me into the James Patterson Page Turner Awards. Lots of great organizations and individuals receive large monetary awards for encouraging reading. One of the smaller prize winners was the Second Chance reading program here in Austin. It tries to get books to incarcerated teens. What a neat program, and I'd never even heard of it before. There are lots of other really great programs that won something including Kathy Patrick's Beauty and the Book. I was there once during a writer's retreat in Jefferson, TX. Such a crazy place.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Thanks for posting about the Page Turner awards! I facilitate a poetry workshop with youth in juvenile detention. Once a week, I volunteer and spend two hours writing with the youth. I love to hear about other reading/writing programs with kids in juvenile detention! It's some of the most meaningful work I do as a writer in the community!