Sunday

With the release of the new Bluebonnet and Lonestar Lists, I've been contemplating lists of my own. For those of you who don't live in Texas, or do live here and don't have school age children, the Bluebonnet is a student voted award given out every year by the Texas Library Assoc. It's aimed at kids in 2-5 grade. The Lonestar is a list of reccommended reading for grades 6-8. Although not required, most Texas libraries buy all the Bluebonnet books and most of the Lonestars. It's great for the authors (and their publishers).

But I digress. Looking at these lists and all of the others that are created, I decided to make some of my own. It's not a particularly original thing to do, but it was still fun. I also decided not to gear the list to children or readers but to writers. These are my YA books I think all children's wrters (even those who don't write YA) should read. I've listed them by skill.

The Buried Editor's Writerly Works (YA):
  • Pacing
    Twilight
    By Stephanie Meyer
    Your opinion of vampires aside, this book has one of the best pacing of any book I have ever read. It breaks all the rules, but it still manages to pull it off. I highly reccommend.




  • Secondary Worlds
    Ender's Game
    By Orson Scott Card
    Orson Scott Card does some of the best science fiction worlds in the kid's world. His world in this book, although based on our own, is complete and total.



    The Dalemark Quartet (or anything else)
    By Diana Wynne Jones
    Jones is the queen of children's fantasy and science fantasy. All of her worlds are meticulously constructed and complete. There are never any slips. These four books show the same world at 3 different periods. Although the 4th book is by far my favorite, they all have wonderful fictional worlds.




  • Retold Fairy Tales
    Goose Girl
    By Shannon Hale
    They say that there are no new plots only new stories. But sometimes you can make a new story out of an old. Hale makes the goose girl fairy tale lyrical and new. Another author that does an excellent job of this is Cameron Dokey.




  • Anti-Hero
    The Chocolate War
    By Robert Cormier
    The book doesn't so much as have an anti-hero as no hero at all. None of the characters are appealing or likeable or even sympathetic. And yet, the book works. Although it is unpleasant to read, the book offers all authors instruction.




  • Edgy
    What Happened to Lani Garver
    By Carol Plum-Ucci
    Potenial murder, homosexuality, eating disorders, leukemia — it doesn't get much edgier than that. In truth, there are edgier books out there, but this one manages to tackle all of these issues tastefully and tactfully. It does a good job of being good literature while tackling difficult subjects.




  • Mystery
    The Body of Christopher Creed
    By Carol Plum-Ucci
    I tried not to include an author twice, but this is an excellent non-traditional mystery in that it's not really, truly solved. Ordinarily this would annoy me to no end, but Plum-Ucci manages to pull it off. It's why everyone should read it.



As you may have noticed, the reason I think these books should be read is because by and large they break the conventions of the genres they are a part of. And they do it successfully. If any of you have read the books I've reccommended, I would love to hear your opinion of them too. Otherwise, happy reading.

3 comments:

Tricia JH said...

So this brings up a good question I have on what books fall into 'young adult' or even 'middle grade'. When I read Ender's Game, I was well into my 20's and read it as a science fiction book. I got it from the sci-fi section, and wouldn't have even thought about looking in the children's section for it. Ditto for many fantasy books with protagonists in their young teens (Robert Jordan, David Eddings).
Then Eragon comes out and falls into the young adult category. Why? Is this a new marketing trend? I read Eragon and view it along very similar lines to David Eddings or Robert Jordan.
And will I find Ender's Game in the children's section now? Would I have 10 years ago?
Thanks!

The Buried Editor said...

Most children's fantasy and science fiction often get published simeltaneously in both adult and kid editions. (Ender's Game didn't originally, but it's more of an exception.) You'll find most of the authors that you mentioned in both. Readers of science fiction and fantasy have always been more flexible in their definition. You often find kids in the adult section and adults in the kid section.

kevin said...

牙醫,植牙,矯正,矯正牙齒,紋身,刺青,創業,批發,皮膚科,痘痘,中醫,飛梭雷射,毛孔粗大,醫學美容,痘痘,肉毒桿菌,seo,關鍵字行銷,自然排序,網路行銷,自然排序,關鍵字行銷seo,部落格行銷,網路行銷,seo,關鍵字行銷,自然排序,部落格行銷,網路行銷,牛舌餅婚紗台中婚紗,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,高雄婚紗,街舞,小產,雞精,紋身,刺青,性感,辣妹,雷射溶脂,雙下巴,抽脂,瘦小腹,微晶瓷,電波拉皮,淨膚雷射