Saturday

Questions of the Week October 7

Sorry this is a day late. I had a dress fitting during my blog time.

Question on point of view: A previous post reminded me of a book I read by Gail Carsen Levine - Fairy Dust and The Quest for the Egg. I found this book truly entertaining and well written, but did notice the viewpoint shifted around all the time. We could see into basically everyone's mind. What do you think of this writing style?

Now this one is more a matter of personal taste than anything else. I personally prefer minimal shifts in point of view. I tend to find them distracting, and if done poorly, shifts in point of view can make the work confusing. However when done well, seamless changes in point of view can be fun to read.

How is it chosen which books are turned face-forward on the shelves at the bookstore? Is this a paid thing? The shelver's choice? In your opinion, how does this impact sales?

On the whole face-outs on your normal shelves are determined by space. If we've just pulled a bunch of books for returns, we have more space and more face-outs. Books are picked based on thickness and quantity. Also older books and hardbacks are given priority. There are also special shelves that are reserved for specific books. Some of these books are picked for promotional reasons; others are paid. I'm thinking here of special shelves in the business book section. I don't think this is as common in the kids' area. I don't know for sure.

1 comment:

slwhitman said...

At Borders, they occasionally do top-shelf promos. (The top shelf of a chest-high bay becomes a featured theme, like horses or dragons.) They actually had a "Mirrorstone" feature for a while, though what was funny was that they didn't have any of our books under the Mirrorstone sign at the local Borders. Kinda thought when you pay for that kind of placement, they'll also order your books. Probably a local fluke.

I worked at B&N and don't remember having too many of those kinds of features, though occasionally there is a shelf that gets four or five featured books with a shelf talker. The tables and endcaps are the main features there, though.