Saturday

Questions of the Week October 14

I was going to a different question of the week, but this one was related to yeseterday's tip, so golly-gee-whiz, I'm going to do it instead.

What do you think of author's hiring publicists?

Like everything else related to the publishing side of writing, hiring a publicist is a business decision. You have to decide if the expense (the publicist) is going to be worth it. If you think the publicist will garner you some prime exposure which will increase your book sales to the point that royalties will stay cover his/her fee, then a publicist is worth it. They are the ones with the contacts, and they will make sure that your publicity does reach your demographics. A good publicist is worth every penny they charge -- but only if their great publicity results in sales.

However, if you are in a niche not served by traditional media, or if you are already reaching your demographic, or it's a fanatically loyal group familiar with you, you simply may not need one. An example would be if the person who invented Neopets wrote a book on the subject. Neopets has a website with millions (I don't think I'm exaggerating) of users. A simple banner ad on the main pages would probably suffice and nicely sell out an initial print run of 100,000.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How does someone go about finding a good publicist?
What are the going rates they charge (maybe a ballpark number here)?

The Buried Editor said...

Unfortunately, I'm not home and even if I was I think my research on it is still packed. I had found a couple of publicists specializing in children's books, but I wasn't far enough along to be talking money. Some of our BTP authors use Judy Gregerson who isn't a traditional publicist but has so many contacts from her years in the industry that she might as well be one.

I would love to hear anyone else's input. Do you know a great kid's publicist or someone you'd highly reccommend? I'm as interested to hear as everyone else.

judy said...

Susan Raab is a children's book publicist and she does do hourly work.

Most publicists cost between $2000 to $5000 a month, depending on what they do for you.

It's spendy.

T3h Phoenix said...

You're absolutely right- at the time I write this, Neopets.com has 128,301,827 registered accounts and that number increases every few seconds.

Granted, over half of that number probably consists of side accounts (extra accounts; used to store pets or galleries) or inactive accounts. That still leaves plenty of people, though.

joan hobernicht said...

I love your blog but I see you haven't posted anything since Oct 17th. I hope all is well and the wedding went perfectly.