Wednesday

Where does all the time go?

I have discovered that this whole "job" thing in a "work environment" is seriously affecting my free time. Back in my lacksidasical (I'm pretty sure that's not even kind of spelled right) days of working from home. I could do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I miss my flexible schedule. But sadly, I now have much less time to read and blog. Of course, when I say read, I mean read other books being put out in the market. I still make time for all my slush. Actually, I think I'm down to maybe 20 manuscripts. That's like only 2 stacks and I can see over both! Now, I say this knowing full well that when I go to editorial tonight, I'll probably get 50 more, but still it's a feeling of accomplishment.

But what I feel has suffered the most is my blog. I have so much to tell, but so little time to write it. So now I'm going to do kind of a summary of everything I wanted to say these past 2 days. Here goes.

I may not be reading as many books, but I have read some noteworthy ones that I feel you should know about, like:
  • A F CoverArtemis Fowl: The Lost Colony
    The latest is the Artemis Fowl series, and in my humble opinion, the best since the original Artemis. I am not turning this blog into an "I love Colfer" blog, but I can't help it if he's put out some dynamic and wonderful books this year. For the first time in the series, Artemis finally meets his intelectual equal -- someone who could finally even outwit Artemis himself. And she, yes she is two years younger. I will not say another word because I don't want to spoil the book. After all, I didn't give away anything that's not on the jacket. However, if you truly want a magical experience, don't even read the jacket. Just trust me and pick up the book sight unseen and read it. It'll come out September 15.

  • D C CoverThe Death Collector
    Okay, so I haven't actually finished this one yet, but I have high hopes. Any book that starts with the sentence, "Four days after his own funeral, Albert Wilkes came home for tea," has a lot to live up to, and so far it has. I still think the first Bartimeaus book has the best first page (and a half) ever written, but this ranks up there as one of the greatest first sentences. How could you not read the next. I'm hoping the book stays just as good.

And finally, here's a book I didn't like. Don't read it.
  • U M CoverUlysses Moore: The Door to Time
    This book was a first for me. I'd never before read a 200+ page prologue. And that's what this book was. The time travel hinted at in the title? Yeah, well that happened in the last chapter. The LAST chapter of the book. It's one thing to leave your reader with a cliffhanger so they'll read the next book. It's another to make your entire story BE in the next book. As a reader, I was annoyed. I waded through the entire book to reach no climax and have nothing resolved. Like I said, the real adventure hasn't even begun. As an editor, I was appalled. Shouldn't someone have pointed this out to the author?


Well that's my rant for today. I am off to write my lecture for that online conference I'm presenting at. I had thought it was due today since I thought today was the 15. My computer has informed me that I'm wrong, and that it is actually the 16 and that I'm late. Wonderful. Just freaking wonderful.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should be happy. Free time is nothing but an opportunity to waste time. Having a super packed, no extra time for anything schedule is much better.

Kim Winters said...

I admire Colfer, too, and am thrilled to hear he has another book in the Artemis Fowl series. Adding it to my must-read list.

BTW, what online conference will you be presenting at and when?

centipede said...

Cool! I am waiting very excitedly now for Artemis 5.

The Buried Editor said...

The conference is organized the Muse Online Writing Conference taking place October 9-13. I'm doing something on the complete guide to submitting you book.

fusenumber8 said...

Oh, thank God. I wrote the tepid review of that Ulysses Moore book for School Library Journal, then was shocked when my otherwise intelligent boss proclaimed that he liked it. I thought I was possibly losing my mind. Now I see that I was right all along. Thank you!