Tuesday

Slogging Through the Slush

Last night, I read the slush I received for CBAY. Most of what I got were fiction picture books. I am not opposed to publishing fiction picture books at some point, but right now, I am looking for non-fiction picture books as opposed to fiction. A fiction picture book is going to have to be phenomenal for me to seriously consider it. You have been warned.

On a different note, one of the authors informed me that the submission was a multiple submission. I don’t mind simultaneous submissions. I think it’s silly to not submit to 3-5 publishers. It just takes to long to hear a response to wait for each publisher to look at your manuscript one at a time. However, the way the author informed me rather irked me. I have provided it almost verbatim. I hid some identifying details.
    PS: I’ll probably send this novel to a few other publishers too. They’re fresh from re-edits, and I feel I’ve spent too many years waiting for one person a time to send me a rejection. Not that I believe they deserve rejections!
They’re so many things wrong with this. First off, it’s in a casual PS. It ruined the whole professional tenor of the rest of the cover letter. Next off, the author implies that I’m going to reject this. The last sentence tries to take it back, but it’s already to late. I now feel the author has no confidence in the work and expects a rejection. It’s hard not to oblige. Finally, it’s just such a strange way to word it. What’s wrong with the sentence: This is a simultaneous submission?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it even necessary to mention when something is a multiple submission? Is this assumed by now (unless of course an editor or agent's website speicifically says that multiple submissions are not accepted). And why would someone not accept multiplle submissions? And if it is mentioned, when in the cover letter or query letter is the best place to mention it? At the very end? And does mentioning (in a positive way of course) the fact that something is a multiple submission influence an editor/agent in a negative way at all? A positive way? Sorry for so many questions.

The Buried Editor said...

Okay, here goes.

Yes, it is generally assumed to be a multiple submission unless otherwise noted, or unless the specific guidelines prohibit it. And the best place to put it is at the end of the letter or the end of the paragraph explaining why you are submitting to that specific press. Either one works. Finally, I can't speak for all editors, but most of us don't care one way or another. It's just useful information. If we really like the manuscript, knowing it's a multiple submission generally makes us move faster.

alvina said...

I do think that an author should state if it is a multiple submission, even though yes, for the most part I do assume that it is. But I also don't mind if it is a multiple submission.

Anonymous said...

Let's not confuse 'multiple' with 'simultaneous'. Multiple means you have sent more than one manuscript to the same publisher at the same time. Simultaneous means you have sent the same manuscript to more than one publisher at the same time.
We should also not confuse 'to' and 'too' but use them this way, "I'm going to the store before it's too late."

Gregory K. said...

For the record, this is a simultaneous comment.