Wednesday

I have a dilemma.

I have a monster sized, what do I do, how can I even attempt to decide dilemma. In what order do I read my slush?

Now, normally, this is a no-brainer. I try to read my slush in the order that it arrives in my hot little hand. Since it lives in piles, that means I read the bottom stuff first. This seems fair, and it keeps the older ones from languishing to long in the pile. It's when I deviate from this system that I start having slush take 4-6 months to get read.

So, what's the problem? I got all those slimy little picture book manuscripts oozing all over my desk. Now picture book manuscripts are more difficult to evalutate. If they have any merit or potential at all, I have to do mental dummies, evaluate language, determine markets, etc. For novels, I have to like it and evaluate the market. Period. Easy readers are actually the worst. Those I have to count number of syllables in the words, number of words in the sentences, figure our how many sentences per page, and the list goes on. Fortunately, I've only received 1 ER slush in my whole career. Let's keep it that way.

But I digress. Back to the picture books. They require me to do more work if I like them. But most the time I don't. And they're so much smaller and easier to carry than novel manuscripts. And so I'm tempted to put off my big novel slush for the picture book slush.

It's a quandry. Do I stick with being fair and lug those novel manuscripts to my rehearsal tonight, or do I just sneak a few of those pesky PBs? What to do.

2 comments:

The Buried Editor said...

The solution ended up being easy. I forgot to bring the novel slush home with me, but the PBs were still in the car.

So much for big ethical decisions. Sometimes Fate just decides.

T3h Phoenix said...

Well, that's good. You should give Fate a muffin basket for its hard work in deciding things. :D

Just a thought.