Friday

The First Online Conference Ever (at least I think)

I have just been accepted as a presenter at the Muse Online Wrting Conference that will be held in October. I don't know yet what I'll be speaking on, but you may assume that it will be my usual articulate blather. I, of course, encourage everyone to see me. And this will be the best conference I will ever have to have attended. I can sit in my house and not leave the couch while sharing my nuggets of wisdom. It'll be a more intensive version of what I do now.

On a serious note, I do think these ladies have come up with a pretty cool idea. This will allow anyone with an internet connection to participate. Distance isn't an issue and it allows them to get a huge variety of speakers. And best of all, it's FREE!

So, below is the PR thing they gave me. I'll give you more information about what I'll be speaking about and whether or not I'll have a critique session as I find out more information.


The Muse Online Writing Conference

Lea Schizas, Editor of The Muse on Writing, and Carolyn Howard-Johnson are sponsoring a virtual writers' conference on October 9th - 13th 2006 -- very possibly the first. This conference offers writers -- published or not --  who have not been to a conference, to mingle with some of the publishing world's personalities, to pose questions and learn from them, and to partake in many of  the F~R~ E~E online workshops we will be hosting: 

Bookmark the site: here. 
and come back often to see the newest presenters and workshops. Shel Horowitz just accepted our invitation and we already have dozens of others. Carolyn will be presenting on both book promotion and the craft of writing, specifically "Writing Sparkling Dialogue in 10 Easy Steps."

[And of course, who would want to miss The Buried Editor? She'll be the toast of the talks.]

To check on the growing faculty and workshop session, go: here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does look great! Thanks for the info. I registered today.

Anonymous said...

My question has nothing to do with the current post, but didn't see a spot for it any other place so...what is the market standard for signing a contract once an editor has given a verbal acceptance of a manuscript? Does it take months after the acceptance or should it occur immediately?

The Buried Editor said...

I'd like to do a more detailed answer in a question of the week if you don't mind, but for a quick answer, be concerned if you haven't seen anything within 3 months. Everything in publishing seems to run on about a 3 month schedule. And if you or your agent and the publishing house are haggling, it can take up to a year to negotiate a contract. However, like I said if you have not seen some sort of initial contract in writing within 3 months, be concerned.

Anonymous said...

Okay, thanks. Is it proper etiquette (in the writing world) to ask about when the contract might be ready for signing after or within 3 months?

The Buried Editor said...

Of course. You are perfectly within your rights if a contract never seems in imminent danger of materializing. Say something like, I am unwilling to proceed on this project until we have begun contract negotiations or something like that. Just remember not to pester. And also remember that your editor may not have any control at all over when contracts are sent. For instance if you are one of my BTP authors who still haven't seen a contract, you need to email me right now. (There's a link on the profile page if you don't already have my email.) I have zip, zero, nada control over contracts, but I can bug the person who does. And if you're a CBAY author, then you should know what stage your contract is in, but if you don't remember, email me and I'll remind you. :)