Sunday

Today we write Fibs.
Tomorrow, the truth.

One of the comments on the Weekend Dialogue post made me realize that all of my stuff up to this point has been about getting published, not about the art of writing. However, we are authors first and foremost, so I felt like this week should be devoted to writing. I shall call it The Buried Editor's Official Week of Writing and Musing on Writing. Tell your friends to join in this most auspicious week dedicated to our craft. But since the title's a little long, feel free to abbreviate it to BEOWWMW (pronounced beow-wum-wa) in all of your correspondance. I think I’ve glossed over writing up until this time because there are lots of books out there that cover most of the main points -- though some do it better than others. But I shall remedy that now.

So, to start our BEOWWMW, or BEOW for short, I thought we could all do some writing. Specifically I thought we could start with some stuff outside most of our comfort zones. Poetry.

I believe the haiku inspired the first type of poem that I think we should tackle. Like a haiku, each line of the poem has a set number of syllables. However, unlike a haiku these syllables are based on the Fibonacci number sequence. Called Fibs, they were invented by Gregory K of the GottaBook blog. Astoundingly cool poems. Gregory recently got a two book deal from Arthur Levine, who -- for those of you who don’t know -- is the imprint that put out the Harry Potter books among others. If you do decide to try writing a Fib, be sure to post it on his site if you post on mine. He loves to look at them.

To write a Fib:
Fibs are six line poems with each line having the following number of syllables – 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8 (the first six numbers of the Fibonacci sequence).

Here is my attempt at a Fib:

      Soft
      Soft
      Purring.
      My cat knows
      She can get whatev’r
      She wants from too generous me.

Later we’re tackling Pindaric Odes and a new version of the sonnet that in the footsteps of Shakespeare, Plutarch, and Spenser, I have named for myself. What? You don’t think my cat Fib ranks up there with the masters? :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So were the Fibs poems a takeoff on the DaVinci Code success or did this poet invent them before this?

The Buried Editor said...

No idea. You might want to ask Greg. You can use the link in the post to get his blog. He's very friendly and responds to nearly every post.

I'm not sure what inspired him to use the Fib sequence.